Monday, 7 November 2011

How It All Began

So, there I was. Laying in bed, tossing and turning. I just couldn't sleep that night. I'm a total twitter addict so I had a look at what people were tweeting.

I came across a tweet, a tweet asking for help. There was someone with a friend in need of a kidney transplant. The only information given was his blood group, A rhesus negative. Coincidentally, the same blood type as myself. I sent a direct message to the person who had mentioned it. I asked for more details.

For anonymitys sake I will call the tweeter 'Adam' and the person in need of a transplant 'Ben'. After being told that 'Ben' done some pretty amazing things for others, I felt that if anyone deserved a shot at a new life, it was him. Besides, anyone whose friends are willing to offer £10k to save his life has got to be an awesome person, right? Having been given Bens name and number, I gave him a call. Took a few days of messages for us to finally have a chat, but, we got there in the end.

I feel I must make it clear at this point that I actually made Adam well aware that I would help his friend if I could, but would not want the money. Selling my body parts (internal or otherwise) just isn't for me. Besides, who wants to take all the savings away from someone whos life you just prolonged? It just seems so wrong to me. So after a few phonecalls and text messages, Ben told me that his nurse was not allowed to contact me. I called her and let her know I was a blood match and hoping to help Ben. After being directed to speak with my own GP due to medication I take for my own conditions, I was givn the all clear to go ahead if I wanted.

Once I got back to Bens nurse (whom I will call 'Carly') and made her aware of this, it was all suddenly very serious. Carly explained that Ben and I would need to attend a talk together, along with other transplant recipients and donors. The point of the talk? To make us all aware of what the risks are and what the procedure involves for both parties. I have also been booked into the hospital for a myriad of tests to ensure compatibility and to be sure I am fit and well enough to undergo the surgery. Anyway that is where all this began, who would have thought that twitter really has the potential to help save lives!?

No comments:

Post a Comment