Tuesday morning started out ok. I managed to get up and get ready on time that is. Then I heard my phone ring, saw that it was Ben and got nervous. He was quite poorly and was unable to pick me up, so off I went to the hotel reception and asked them to call me a cab. I waited a while and then thought I’d better call the hospital, to let them know I may be late.
First task of the day, a urine sample. Well I say ‘a’ sample, but I had to pee in two separate pots. I never understood why they give those skinny pots to women for urine samples. We can hardly direct the flow like men do! Anyway, urine done I am lead to another part of the hospital. It seemed to take forever to get there. Once there, I was called in to see the nurse and had some bloods taken. Seemed like my nurse (Edna) was taking loads. The next step was injecting a radioactive tracer into my bloodstream, oh the joy of organ donation. As all this was taking place, Edna started to ask me a few questions about why I’d decided to help out Ben in this way.
I went on to tell her about an amazing act of kindness carried out by him and how I thought good things should happen to good people. If you know me personally, you know I like to help people out where I can. So, back to the tests, after having this tracer injected I went off to have an ECG and then took the print out back up to the ward with me. I had to go in a room with a doctor after having more blood taken. All I can say is that I’m glad the doctor was female! After having a bit of a chat and noting down my medical history along with details of whether there was any history of certain illnesses within my family, it was time for a bit of a physical check up. I’d already had my blood pressure, height and weight measured by Edna.
I was totally shocked when, after listening to my chest, the doctor asked me to remove my top and my bra. I thought I was donating a kidney, and couldn’t figure out the relevance. She explained that they actually need to check me for everything, just in case there’s something I don’t know about. So, as well as having a my breasts examined, I was checked for hernia and even had the pulses in my feet checked. Apparently I have great pulses in my feet, I think that means I passed that part. Once I was all done there it was back to Edna, so she could take more blood for the purpose of tracking the radioactive tracer. The next step was another walk around the hospital in search of the x-ray department. Thankfully all I had to do there was take my bra off from under my t-shirt. I definitely made the right choice of outfit for the day. So with the chest x-ray done, I went in search of a shop to buy some cigarettes. Awful habit I know, but I just don’t seem to be able to quit! I’d already text Ben to let him know I was in desperate need of nicotine, not sure why I bothered as he just laughed about it, now when he makes jokes about me I just remind him of the plastic tube that he'll have pulled out after surgery(a whole other story, I'll be sharing it soon). Turns out there are no shops within walking distance of Leicester General Hospital. Can you believe I actually went and explained my situation to a total stranger!? What an embarrassment, but oh how I needed to get some nicotine in my system. Lucky for me, a lovely lady was kind enough to let me have not just one, but two of her cigarettes.
Then I had to head back to the ward for the final lot of blood to be taken. I was a little early getting back to the ward so had plenty of time to chat with Edna and the girl on ward reception (I never did get her name) lets call her Flo. Flo and I discussed our kids, Edna made us aware she’s a single girl through and through. Although, when telling us all about this fella she was due to see that night, she went ever so swoony(I may have made that word up) lol. It was good to have a girly giggle to pass the time when I was so anxious to leave. All I could think about was getting out of there and home to my ickle people. Finally, the time came to take my last blood sample. I was so relieved to be finished and free to get home to Suffolk and when I did it was amazing! My children came running at me and almost knocked me over with their cuddles. it was almost as overwhelming as giving birth! My heart had been aching for the entire trip and being back with my babies was the most amazing feeling ever. Now I'm home its a waiting game. Edna said she will phone me, to let me know how the tests went and if the cross matching was successful. Did I mention they have to mix Bens blood with mine to test for a reaction? Well they do, it gives an idea of how the recipient will respond to the donor organ. So, while I wait, I intend to give you lots of details from the talk we had to attend. Its safe to say, I'm glad I'm the donor and not the recipient!
Oh fingers crossed results are what your after.
ReplyDeleteYour amazing x